Why study English language and literature?
The aim of our English department is to ensure that all students have the opportunity to develop their English skills in order to prepare them for their GCSEs and beyond. Our key stage 4 curriculum provides students with the knowledge and skills they need to successfully complete their GCSEs in both English language and literature. We aim to supply opportunities for ensuring progress in year 10 and 11 through learning in the classroom and at home through the use of the academy’s new Knowledge Organiser homework programme.
Together with the above, study of English is important because:
- all future employers will ask for this qualification
- you will convey skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing effectively
- you will be able to use language to effectively communicate with others
- it is a pathway to future opportunities both in employment in education
What will I learn?
Our syllabus is as follows:
- explorations in creative reading and writing (fiction)
- writers’ viewpoints and perspectives (non-fiction)
- Shakespeare and the 19th-century novel
- modern texts and poetry
How will I be assessed?
Future pathways and careers
- Further study of English at Hucknall Sixth Form Centre
- Higher education
- English skills are vital for any job role
For more information on English language and literature, contact Mr McDermott via email: email@example.com