Why study food preparation and nutrition?
Food preparation and nutrition is an exciting and creative course which will give students the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook confidently and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating.
What will I learn?
Students will learn about:
- demonstrating effective and safe cooking skills by planning, preparing and cooking a variety of food commodities using different cooking techniques and equipment
- functional properties, chemical characteristics and nutritional content of food and drinks
- relationship between diet, nutrition and health, including the physiological and psychological effects of poor diet and health
- economic, environmental, ethical and socio-cultural influences on food availability, production processes, diet and health choices
- functional and nutritional properties, sensory qualities and microbiological food safety considerations when preparing, processing, storing, cooking and serving food
exploring ingredients and processes from different culinary traditions (traditional British and international) to inspire new ideas or modify existing recipes.
How will I be assessed?
- Assessment of knowledge
Future pathways and careers
- Progress to further education and higher education courses in food related topics
- Ideal preparation for a variety of careers in the food industry
For more information on food preparation and nutrition, contact Mrs Carefoot via email: firstname.lastname@example.org