Why study French?
By taking French at GCSE you don’t just learn the language you get to find out about other people, countries and cultures. This makes it an interesting and varied subject. Learning a language helps your memory, creativity, listening skills and self-confidence.
Many companies look for individuals who can speak more than one language, and using a language at work could raise your salary by between 8-20%.
What will I learn?
During the GCSE course students will study three main themes. Each theme contains three or four topics.
– Identity and culture, covering topics such as family, friends, marriage, technology, free-time activities, customs and festivals in French-speaking countries/communities
– Local, national, international and global areas of interest, including home, town, neighbourhood and region, social issues, healthy living, global issues such as the environment, poverty and homelessness, travel and tourism
– Study and employment, including topics on my studies, life at school/college, post-16 education, jobs, career choices and ambitions
How will I be assessed?
- Examinations – writing, reading, speaking, listening
Future pathways and careers
- You can continue studying French at Hucknall Sixth Form Centre
- Translation and teaching
- Business, marketing and sales
- Travel and tourism
- Banking and finance
Mrs L Hill