Why study hospitality and catering?
Hospitality and catering is Britain’s fourth largest industry and this course equips you with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills that you will need to succeed in this sector. You will learn how to plan, prepare, and cook a variety of dishes, which is not only a valuable life skill but a solid foundation for employment in the hospitality and catering industry.
What will I learn?
– The importance of personal/food safety and hygiene
– Principles of nutrition, diet and good health
– Where food comes from and how to prepare the following ingredients: meat, fish, eggs, dairy, fruit, vegetables, cereal grains and potatoes
How will I be assessed?
Unit 1: the hospitality and catering industry Written exam paper, 1 hour, 30 minutes (90 marks) worth 40%
Unit 2: hospitality and catering in action Practical assessment, 3 hours and write-up, 6 hours, worth 60%
Future careers and pathways
- Further education in food and nutrition
- Apprenticeships in food-related industries
- Hospitality and catering
- Professional cookery
- Baker, patisserie, confectioner, butcher
- Food waste management
- Food and drink manufacturing
- Food science
Mrs V Carefoot