Updated 27 August 2020
We are very much looking forward to welcoming students back to the academy in September 2020.
Please see the latest update information for parents/carers below:
Re-opening update 27 August 2020
July 2020 update
What will re-opening in September look like?
Over the course of the last week, we have carried out a new risk assessment based on the guidance released by the government. This risk assessment has now been approved in principle by our Board of Trustees, however it is subject to a further audit in August. This second step is necessary to ensure we take into account any changes to our circumstances, new or updated government guidance or any localised infection control measures required in response to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
It is our intention to write again to you at the end of the summer break with more detailed re-opening information, but we thought it would be helpful for you to have an indication of what that will look like now. Our current plans for re-opening require that we make some adjustments to how we usually organise our academy day. The following is an overview of what that will mean for your child(ren):
- The timings of the school day remain unchanged – 8.30 start and 14.55 end
- We request that you ensure your child(ren) arrives into the school site between 8.00 and 8.15 to support hand washing and avoid congestion
- The day will be altered to include staggered breaks and lunches for year groups
- Pastoral care will be delivered in year group tutor groups, with each House team member taking a year group each for the first half term at least (for example, all Flogan year 7 students will be in one group)
- Year 11 remain with their normal tutor team
- Staff will move between year groups as normal.
- Strict handwash and hygiene procedures will be in place around the site and in all classrooms. Handwash and sanitisers stations around site will support this
- Strict social distancing will be in place- signage, tape and floor markings will support this
- Senior leaders will be available across the whole site all day to support the safe movement around the academy
- Catering facilities will be provided as normal, however students should bring their own drinks from home in a reusable bottle
- Only essential equipment will be used in classrooms. It is imperative that you supply your child(ren) with their own basic equipment such as pens. Pencils, rubber, ruler, highlighter etc
- Students will work in books and knowledge folders as normal
Across the academy posters will be displayed to help remind our students of the need for good hygiene, including washing our hands regularly – a message our staff will reiterate, but we would also welcome your support in reminding your child(ren) too. Over the summer we will be working to ensure there are multiple handwashing or hand-sanitising stations in place throughout the academy in support of this, ready for the start of term.
If you have any concerns or specific questions regarding your child’s return in September, please let us know via email at email@example.com or by phone on 01623 623559. Please note that our response times over the summer break will be longer than usual, as we have limited staff cover during this time.
Free school meals during the summer holiday
As previously mentioned, the government has announced that those currently eligible and in receipt of the free school meals scheme will continue to receive this over the summer holiday. In line with this guidance, a single e-voucher from our supplier Sodexo will be provided to cover the period 20 July to 28 August 2020.
So, for now, we wish you and your family a very restful, and importantly, a safe and healthy summer break – and we look forward to welcoming all our students back in September.